- Dietary Supplements
- Health Conditions
- Healthy Nutrition
- Cardiovascular Health
- Skin Care
- Natural Remedies
The 15 Great Health Benefits of Ginger
For over 2000 years the health benefits of ginger have been boasted about because of their natural properties. These properties include chemicals called volatile oils, such as shogaols and gingerols, which, apart from being health benefits of ginger, also give it that pungent, spicy taste. Ginger has been found to help with a variety of ailments, including the most important one of all –cancer. Here is a list of the 15 most prevalent health benefits of ginger.
1) Prevention of Colon Cancer. It has been found by a University of Minnesota study that one of the health benefits of ginger is that is may slow the colorectal cancer cell growth.
2) Treatment of Ovarian Cancer. Another health benefit of ginger is that it could be used to treat ovarian cancer. A study at the University of Michigan concluded that the powder from ginger can induce the death of ovarian cancer cells when administered.
3) Upset Stomach Relief. Because ginger has anti-spasmic (carminative) properties, it is great for calming stomach aches, as well as providing relief from gas and bloating.
4) Nausea Relief. Ginger can relieve nausea very effectively, especially nausea that is caused by motion sickness. Several studies have also found that ginger can relieve morning sickness as effectively as Vitamin B6.
5) Relief of Severe Stomach Ailments. Another health benefit of ginger for the stomach is that it can help with more serious illnesses like colic and dyspepsia. Ginger is also used often in developing countries for diarrhea treatment.
6) Pain and Inflammation Relief. It was shown in one study that there are anti-inflammatory properties in ginger, which makes it a powerful natural painkiller.
7) Protection from Ulcers. Because ginger promotes the secretion of mucus, it helps protect against ulcers, which are unwanted and very painful holes in your stomach lining.
8) Relief of Heartburn. Ginger has been shown to relieve heartburn naturally. To use it for this purpose, you should drink it in the form of tea.
9) Allergy Relief. One of the health benefits of ginger is that it acts as a natural antihistamine, which provides relief from allergies.
10) Prevention and Treatment of Colds and Flu. Ginger has properties that are anti-toxic, anti-viral, and anti-fungal, so it can be administered for colds and flu treatment, as well as prevention.
11) Sore Throat and Cough Relief. Because ginger stimulates mucus secretion, it can help soothe your sore throat and calm your cough.
12) Migraine Relief. Ginger has been found to stop inflammation in blood vessels and keep prostaglandins from causing further pain, which provides for easy migraine relief.
13) Relief of Menstrual Cramps. You can drink ginger tea with brown sugar, which is the same drink that is used in Chinese medicine for menstrual cramp relief.
14) Lowers Cholesterol. Ginger has been shown to reduce levels of “bad” cholesterol, as well as prevent blood clots from forming.
15) Diabetic Nephropathy Prevention. In one study involving giving diabetic rats administering ginger showed a reduction in diabetic nephropathy (which is kidney damage).
For more information, go to:
The information supplied in this article is not to be considered as medical advice and is for educational purposes only.
|Nutritious Food22 Apr 2011|